Dance Department policies
The Dance Department
• As our sessions run for 17 weeks, please prioritize extra-curricular activities accordingly. If Harbor Springs • We recommend purchasing dancewear at:
and/or Petoskey Schools are closed due to snow, there will be no classes. If a student misses class due to illness,
they may make it up any time during the current session. If a student has an injury, they are encouraged to watch
class and take notes.
• Dancers must arrive to class on time prepared and ready to dance. Levels Intermediate-Advanced are
expected to be at least 10 minutes early to stretch as they are responsible for warming themselves up. If a student
is less than 10 minutes late, they may ask permission to take class. Students who are continuously late for class,
will be asked to sit out of class.
• There is absolutely NO talking during class, unless it is a question or comment to the instructor. Disruptive
students may be asked to sit out of class, or sent home.
• No gum or food may be brought into the studio for ANY reason.
• The Dance Dept. dress-code is based on classical standards for dance training. This dress code helps students
focus on their work in class, and prepares them for performances. Students feel pride in themselves when they are
dressed properly and ready for class.
• Students and their parents are responsible for understanding the dress code.
• Students in violation of dress code will be asked to correct the problem prior to class. If there are ongoing
problems, the student will be asked to sit out of class when he/she is not prepared for class.
• More serious students are encouraged to attend more than one class per week, as regular study ensures more
• Advanced dance classes are by audition/invitation only. Advanced ballet students are required to attend 4
ballet classes per week.
* Bottoms Up - Okemos 517.349.0158
* The Dance Center Boutique - Traverse City 231.947.6820
* Diva Dancewear - Traverse City 231.941.7552
* Kicks - Grand Rapids 616.776.5966
* Discount Dance Supply - www.discountdance.com
Attire for Ballet
• Solid colored leotard (black is preferred) for ladies. White tee, leotard or tank for gentlemen.Undergarments
• Ladies; full-footed pink tights (with or without seams), no footless or rolled-up tights.
Gentlemen; black tights, sweatpants or shorts.
• Pink leather (preferred) or canvas ballet slippers for ladies and white or black ballet slippers for gentlemen.
Ballet slippers must be properly sewn with narrow elastic prior to entering class. Please adjust drawstrings and
tie them in a KNOT, rather than a bow. Trim the ends to about 1 inch, and tuck the ends inside the shoe. Please
do NOT tie the drawstrings in a bow, or leave the ends outside the shoe. (This is for the safety of the dancers.)
• A student must receive permission by Ms. Heather in order to wear, or be fitted for pointe shoes. Upon
approved fitting, pointe shoes must be reviewed by Ms. Heather prior to wearing them.
• When students wear warm-ups, their technique is not fully visible to teachers. The studio temperatures are
kept suitably warm, so there is no need for students to wear clothing over their classroom attire.
• If a student has a specific injury that requires a warm-up, please speak to Ms. Heather for special
arrangements prior to class.
• Absolutely no tank tops, camisole tops, sweatshirts, pants or shorts are allowed in ballet class. Ballet skirts
• Absolutely no watches or jewelry in class, with the exception of small, secure earrings. Students who wear
jewelry to class will be asked to remove it.
• Girls’ tights serve as underwear beneath their leotards. (Please be sure to buy dance tights, which have a Hair
cotton crotch.) Underpants inhibit movement and are very unsightly, and are not allowed under tights. While
this can be a bit of a surprise to younger dancers, they adjust quickly. Please avoid an uncomfortable situation for
your dancer by explaining this aspect of ballet dress code to them ahead of time, and making sure they come to
class in proper attire. This will also prepare dancers for our year-end performance.
• On the other hand, male dancers must wear a dance belt or dance briefs under their tights.
• Nude-colored body stockings or bras may be worn by female dancers who need extra support.
• Improper hairstyles are not only messy, they interfere with dance training. Standard ballet hairstyle for Attire for Dance Fusion (Boys & Girls)
girls is a secure, slicked-back bun with no bangs. Standard hairstyle for boys is short and neat, or pulled into a
ponytail if hair is long.
• Students in violation of hair code will be required to correct their hair prior to entering class. This means
secure buns with hairnets. Absolutely NO loosely-tied hairdos. Absolutely NO ponytails, with the exception of
Beginning Ballet students.
• Students are expected to bring adequate hair supplies with them to the studio. We recommend keeping a bag
or other container with hair supplies in dance bags, along with hair spray or gel.
• Girls with short hair are still expected to pull hair back using clips.
• If you need help with buns or other hair questions, please ask Ms. Heather prior to class for help.
• Black jazz shoes.
• Black jazz pants, tank or camisole tops or leotards - any color. Warm ups are acceptable at the beginning
• Absolutely no jewelry is to be worn in class.
• Acceptable hairstyles for jazz include: ponytails, pigtails, braids, or buns. It is mandatory that dancers pull hair
away from the face.
• Students in violation of hair code will be asked to correct their hair prior to entering class.